String Bean and Mushroom Casserole
- 2 cups fresh string beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon rice milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add string beans and cook just until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and spritz with cooking spray. Sauté shallots until just starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes, spritzing more cooking spray if necessary.
- Shake rice milk thoroughly to thicken it, then add 1 cup to the mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. As the mixture is boiling, combine cornstarch and remaining 1 tablespoon of rice milk in a small bowl. Pour in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil again. Whisk frequently until the sauce is thickened, then reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add string beans to mushroom mixture, stir to coat evenly, and place in a casserole dish greased with cooking spray. Cover and bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
93 calories (5g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 1g fat, 96mg sodium) per serving