Cream Puffs With Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 quart light vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a large cookie sheet.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, combine water and butter, and heat to boiling on high. Quickly stir in flour all at once until mixture forms ball and comes away from pan sides. Remove from heat and stir until flour is incorporated. Let cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition, until batter becomes smooth and satiny.
- Spoon batter into 10 equal mounds, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffs are golden, about 25 to 35 minutes. With a skewer, poke several holes in each puff to release steam, then continue baking until dry, crisp and golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer puffs to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the top third off each puff.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-quart saucepan, heat cream and sugar just to boiling on medium-high heat. Remove saucepan from heat, add chocolate and let stand 1 minute. Whisk until smooth.
- To serve, place 1 scoop ice cream in each cream puff base, cover with cream puff top, then drizzle with warm chocolate sauce.
271 calories (6g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 15g fat, 176mg sodium) per serving