Easy Chicken Curry
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1½ teaspoons ground cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 pounds skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute onion until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, cayenne, turmeric, cumin, and 1 tablespoon water to make a thick paste. Pour over onions and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and turn to coat with spice paste. Cook, stirring, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickest part of chicken is cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and basil, and simmer another 1 minute.
335 calories (33g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 19g fat, 293mg sodium) per serving