French Shellfish Stew
Category: Soups & Stews
Prep + Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced, fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups clam juice or chicken broth
- 12 cherrystone clams
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, red pepper and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf and wine and bring to a boil. Cook until wine has almost evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and clam juice (or chicken broth) and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Rinse clams and add to pot, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and add mussels. Cover again and cook for 1 minute. Remove cover, add shrimp and cook until the shrimp are just cooked, about 2 minutes more.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
440 calories (44g protein, 30g carbohydrate, 14g fat, 934mg sodium) per serving